BESO Time of Sale
BESO Energy Assessments Reveal Individualized Energy Improvement Opportunities
The energy assessment gives buyers information on a building's energy performance, such as a Home Energy Score, and tailored recommendations on how to achieve lower energy bills and a more comfortable home. Energy assessments must be completed by a Registered BESO Energy Assessor.
For general information about BESO, see: www.cityofberkeley.info/BESO
BESO Compliance Steps Prior to Sale
1. Check building status by looking up the building address on the BESO property status list, or email the BESO team at BESO@cityofberkeley.info.
- Listed as "Compliant"? Email BESO@cityofberkeley.info and request a copy of the form on file for your building.
- Listed as "Deferred to Buyer- Form A Due"? A Form C Deferral was filed for this building, which expires on the date listed in the Property Status List. Go to "Submit Energy Assessment" in Step 2.
Please note exemptions at time of sale: Buildings 25,000 square feet and over, buildings 600 square feet and under, and individually owned units within a larger building, such as an attached condo, are exempt at time of sale.
2. Choose one of the compliance options below.
- Submit Energy Assessment - Hire a Registered BESO Energy Assessor qualified for your building type from the Registered Energy Assessor List. The registered energy assessor will complete an assessment of your building and provide customized energy efficiency recommendations in an Energy Report. The assessor will provide a copy of the Energy Report to the customer and the City. The City will email a Compliance Form A upon receipt of the BESO application and filing fee. Filing fees range from $79 for small (less than 4 units or 5,000 sq. ft. or less), $152 for medium (over 5,000 sq. ft. to 24,999 sq. ft.), and $250 for large (25,000 sq. ft. or more) buildings. For BESO Compliance for homes, an Energy Upgrade California (EUC) Advanced Assessment may be provided in lieu of a Home Energy Score.
- Time of Sale Deferral - Apply for a Time of Sale Deferral (Deferral Form C), transferring responsibility for BESO compliance from seller to buyer. The Time of Sale Deferral requires the buyer to complete an energy assessment within 12 months of the sale date. A Deferral Form C will be generated upon submission of the application and a $48 deferral fee. Submit the Deferral Form C to the title company at closing.
- Deferral for New or Planned Construction - Time of Sale reporting requirements may be deferred for up to ten years for new construction, and up to 24 months for a planned "extensive renovation" or demolition. A project qualifies as an "extensive renovation" if it includes replacement of all energy-related equipment and at least half of the building envelope. Submit a copy of all applicable permits along with application. A Deferral Form D will be generated; no filing fee is required. Submit the Deferral Form D to title company at closing.
- High Performance Exemption - If a qualified comprehensive energy upgrade (such as Energy Upgrade California® Home Upgrade), has already been completed, apply for a High Performance exemption by submitting evidence of program participation. No filing fee is required.
- Exempt size thresholds - 1) Buildings 25,000 ft2
& over, 2) buildings 600 ft2
& under, and 3) any duplex
with both units under 600 ft2
each, are exempt from time-of-sale BESO requirements. No filing fee is required.
- Unit within a larger building - Units within a larger building (such as an individually owned attached condo), are exempt from time-of-sale BESO requirements. No filing fee is required.
- For additional deferrals, such as hardship, please contact the BESO team directly at BESO@cityofberkeley.info or 510-981-7465.
3. Complete the BESO Application Form - BESO Application Form
4. Submit completed BESO application and filing fees (if applicable):
- Email Application to BESO@cityofberkeley.info. Since credit card information cannot be transmitted securely via email, a cashier from the Permit Service Center will call the customer phone number provided in the BESO application for credit card payment information.
- Mail application and check to:
City of Berkeley Permit Service Center
BESO, 1st Floor
1947 Center Street, Berkeley CA 94704
5. Disclose building status to prospective buyers. BESO information and status is available on the City's website. Energy information must be provided to prospective buyers. Deferral Form C or Compliance Form A and the Energy Report are required to be included with closing documents at close of escrow.
Home Energy Score Information
Other Time of Sale Requirements and Resources
For questions, email BESO@cityofberkeley.info or call 510-981-7465. For more information, see the main BESO webpage at www.cityofberkeley.info/BESO.